The following information can be found on the Junior Fair Forms & Documents page:
- Junior Fair Rules
- Market Steer Weigh-In Information
- Livestock Entry Forms
- Livestock Sale Information
Livestock Quality Assurance
Livestock Quality Assurance (QA) Certification is required for all youth exhibiting a market animal, dairy cow or dairy goat project at the Muskingum County Fair.
Certification can be obtained in one of three ways:
1) Youth can participate in a QA program provided by OSU Extension. Youth may attend any QA regardless of the animal they are exhibiting.
In-Person Program Dates
Veteran’s Building, Fairgrounds
April 4, 6-8 p.m.
April 26, 6-8 p.m.
May 8, 6-8 p.m.
- Parent attendance is not required, but encouraged.
- Plan to arrive early, as youth will not receive credit for attending if they arrive more than 10 minutes after the program starts. Youth must complete and submit the attendance card at the end to receive credit.
$10 non-refundable registration fee per youth, paid online. Register here: go.osu.edu/muskqa2023.
May 1, 5:30 & 7 p.m.
- Session attendance is limited to 50 youth per session and pre-registration is required.
- Fee is $10 per participant, paid via credit card in advance. Registration fee is non-refundable. Your spot is only reserved once payment is made.
- Each participant needs to log in from a DIFFERENT device, as only one person can be visible on screen at a time for attendance taking purposes.
- Sessions are designed to be one hour, but could run over a few minutes.
- Participants will be required to have their camera on for the duration of the session and respond to poll questions throughout. Youth should plan to arrive early, as youth will not receive credit for attending if they arrive more than 5 minutes after the program starts.
- Attendance will be taken at the beginning and end of each session. Only registered youth can receive credit for attending.
2) Complete the Youth for the Quality Care for Animals (YQCA) Online Course.
The online module completed must be for the correct 4-H age. Only the YQCA courses currently meet ODA standards. BQA, PQA, BEST and other online programs do not meet this requirement. Families use their 4HOnline log in to complete the course. The cost is $12 per youth.
Program details: go.osu.edu/yqca
If youth complete online, they need to forward the completion certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Youth can participate in the test out option.
All youth 12-14 years of age (4-H age) may take a QA test designed for their age group. If they pass the test with a score of 70% or greater, the youth will be certified in QA until they turn 15 years old.
All youth 15-18 years of age (4-H age) may take a QA test designed for their age group. If they pass the test with a score of 70% or greater, the youth will be certified in QA for the remainder of their Junior Fair years.
Youth will either take the Large Animal (Beef, Dairy, Goat, Sheep, Swine) test or Small Animal (Poultry, Rabbit) test. QA certification is good for all animal projects taken no matter which test is passed.
Youth are only permitted to take one test per calendar year. If a youth does not pass the QA test, they will be required to attend a QA program to gain certification.
A study guide is available online at: go.osu.edu/qastudyguide.
QA Test-Out Dates
Participants MUST pre-register no later than the day before the test-out: go.osu.edu/muskqatestout
April 4, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Veteran’s Building
April 26, 4:30-5:30 p.m., Veteran’s Building
Horse Education Programs
All youth enrolled in a horse project (except Project #173 Horseless Horse) must complete a Horse Education Program, even if they do not plan to exhibit at the fair.
Youth must complete Ohio 4-H’s EquiSTEP program. It can be accessed here: go.osu.edu/2023equistep.
The online course is housed on ScarletCanvas and is run by the State 4-H Office. Information to access the course will in Muskingum County 4-H Family Update E-mails when it becomes available.
- Each member must sign up for the course with a unique e-mail address.
- Select ‘Modules’ to see the 5 steps.
- Watch the video(s) that correspond with each step.
- Complete the quiz associated with the training. You need to score at least a 7 out of 10 to pass the training.
- After scoring at least a 7 out of 10 on the quiz, complete the Certificate of Completion/Course Evaluation Survey. Both you and your county 4-H professional will be emailed a certificate that notes you have completed the EquiSTEP training.
All Muskingum County Youth must complete the Horse Education Program requirement by June 15.
For information on Skillathon requirements, check in the Muskingum County 4-H Owner's Manual.
FFA Record Book Download Instructions
Downloadable Study Kits
The downloadable study kits are available to 4-H/FFA members in Muskingum County. The link is on page 15 of the Muskingum County 4-H Owner's Manual.
Harness Goat Project Supplement
Pack Goat Project Supplement
2023 Horse Project Information
174 Beginning Horse Management Record Pages - Can be used if member is taking project multiple years and has filled out pages in the book. Current year records are required for Skillathon.
PAS Show Information
There will NOT be a pre-registration, youth will register for classes at the show.
Friday, June 2, 5 p.m.
Muskingum County Fairgrounds
Out of County Participants - Bring the following the day of the show:
- Out of County PAS Form (signed by your county 4-H Educator)
- Horse ID Form (with photo of horse attached)
- $10 entry fee per class. Checks can be made payable to: Muskingum County Junior Fair Horse Committee.
Ohio 4-H Poultry Printable Resource
Deciding What 4-H Poultry Project to Take