Camp counselors work with an Extension professional, adult 4-H volunteers, and the 4-H Camp Ohio staff to conduct a variety of outdoor learning experiences for campers ages 8-13. Counselors work with a partner to supervise a small group of campers in a cabin living environment. Camp counselors meetings and activities from February through June to plan camp activities and learn skills needed to be an effective camp counselor. Camp counselor applicants must be ages 14 to 18. To be eligible to be a counselor, candidates must be a 4-H member in good standing. Complete Camp Counselor Application by November 15, 11:59 p.m. and participate in Counselor Selection Night on November 30 if applicant has not served as a counselor.
You will need the following information to complete the Junior Fair Board application:
- Personal Information
- Information to help you with essay questions.
- Name and E-mail address of two non-family members to serve as a reference (new members only). References Due November 15.
- Headshot photo to attach to application.
Camperships (scholarships to assist youth in paying camp fees) are available to Muskingum County 4-H members through donations from local sponsors.
2024 Campership Application
The deadline is April 15 at 11:59 p.m.
Camperships and multiple child discounts are provided by FruhQuip and other local donors.
Each summer, Muskingum County 4-H Junior Camp is held at the 4-H Camp Ohio Youth Education Center in St. Louisville, Ohio.
Our camp is conducted by a 4-H professional employed by Ohio State University Extension in Muskingum County, adult volunteers with backgrounds in education, and trained 4-H teen counselors. A registered nurse is on-site during camp to tend to all healthcare needs. Our team works with the 4-H Camp Ohio staff to conduct a variety of learning experiences for campers, including: citizenship, swimming, hiking, campfires, canoe/kayak, team challenge, shooting sports, zipline/climbing wall, high ropes and much more!
Who? Campers are youth ages 8 and in the 3rd grade, or 9 and in any grade, to age 13 as of January 1 of the current calendar year. Youth must be enrolled in 4-H in 2024 to attend camp.
When? June 10-13, 2024
- June 10: Staggered morning check-in at times selected on registration (between 10 and 11:00 a.m.)
- June 13: Staggered morning check-out at times selected on registration (between 10 and 11:00 a.m.)
Restricted Release Form (use only if you need to restrict who picks up your child from camp)
Parents show their belief in the value of 4-H camping by sending thousands of young people to Ohio 4-H camps each year. The supportive environment at Ohio 4-H camps provides kids with opportunities to learn how to live, work and play through hands-on activities in the natural world.
Objectives of 4-H Camping
By participating in Ohio 4-H Camps, campers will:
- build self-esteem and self-efficacy;
- connect with meaningful role models in a safe and inclusive environment;
- demonstrate problem-solving ability and establish standards and values that guide decision-making;
- enhance independent living skills;
- develop positive relationships with other young people from different backgrounds;
- cultivate teamwork and leadership capacity;
- explore activities for wise use of leisure time;
- gain a better understanding and appreciation of the world around them through programs focused on outdoor learning; creative expression; science, technology, engineering and math; and leadership and citizenship
Muskingum County 4-H Junior Camp
Each summer, Muskingum County 4-H Junior Camp is held at the 4-H Camp Ohio Youth Education Center in St. Louisville, Ohio. Our camp is conducted by 4-H professionals employed by Ohio State University Extension in Muskingum County, adult volunteers with backgrounds in education and healthcare, and trained 4-H teen counselors. Our staff works with the 4-H Camp Ohio staff to conduct a variety of learning experiences for campers, including: citizenship, swimming, hiking, campfires, canoe/kayak, team challenge, shooting sports, zipline/climbing wall, high ropes and much more!
Camp Director Contact Information:
|Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development